United Way 2-1-1 Moves People From Crisis To Stability
Did you know there’s a number you can call any day, any time to receive help with non-emergency life challenges? You know, the ones everyone could face at some point in the lives, like filing your taxes, looking for a ride to a doctor’s appointment, or needing to find an after-school program.
When you have no idea where to turn, know you can turn to United Way 2-1-1, a 24/7 health and human services helpline that will move you from crisis to stability. 2-1-1 is a vital service that connects millions of people each year to help in their communities.
- 2-1-1 is for anyone. Everyone faces challenges. Job loss, illness, natural disasters and other events can upend anyone’s life. In those moments, 2-1-1 is a good resource to have. The service is available to everyone, regardless of income level. And a trained, knowledgeable specialist answers the call, helps identify the root causes of your problem, and connects you to local resources.
- Get help with complex challenges, whatever they may be. 2-1-1 provides referrals to health and human services throughout Missouri and Southwest Illinois. With a database of more than 30,000 programs and services across Missouri and Southwest Illinois, 2-1-1 is the leader in connecting people to vital community resources.
- 29.2% of requests for assistance were for housing and shelter. 2-1-1 connects people to the resources they need to secure stable living, home maintenance, and more. United Way not only helps put callers in contact with organizations that can help, but United Way also supports much of the area’s basic needs assistance.
- 2-1-1 responds to local and regional disasters. In June 2019, St. Louis and Granite City experienced flooding, and 2-1-1 partnered with AmeriCorps St. Louis and United Way of Greater St. Louis’ Volunteer Center to help impacted residents with flood cleanup, debris removal, mold remediation and more. 2-1-1 also partnered with The Salvation Army and Catholic Charities for long-term recovery efforts.
- Over 184,000 calls received in 2019 for United Way 2-1-1 of Missouri and Southwest Illinois. And in 2018, the service fielded over 11 million calls nationwide!
- 2-1-1 changes lives. Lives like Phillip’s. For Phillip, getting to the hospital for his blood transfusion would be a challenge. He didn’t have a car of his own, none of his friends or family were available to take him, and walking to the bus stop to wait in the cold would be dangerous for his health. Phillip called United Way 2-1-1 for help and discovered he was eligible for Ride United, a pilot program with United Way and Lyft.
Take action now:
- Stay updated with 2-1-1 on Twitter – follow us @unitedway211.
- Hear from one navigation specialist who helped a caller find joy in a stressful time.
- Learn how United Way is strengthening communities.