21 Ways to Make an Impact in Your Community This Summer
Summertime means longer days and time off school and work, which means it’s the perfect time to give back to your community!
Want to make the most of your summer? Here are 21 ways to make an impact in your community:
- Use United Way’s Summer Volunteer Guide to plan a volunteer project for you and your friends.
- Host a dinner party and encourage your guests to network with and meet new people.
- Learn the names of St. Louis’ elected officials.
- Help a neighbor with yardwork or a household project.
- Clean up a local park.
- Create an account on United Way’s Volunteer Center website to stay up-to-date on new volunteer projects and opportunities.
- Organize or participate in a street block party.
- Start a book club at your workplace.
- Shop for a good cause at a local charity thrift store.
- Join a nonprofit board of directors.
- Start a mentor or mentee relationship with a professional in your field.
- Discover your volunteer match and find the right opportunity for you.
- Organize a clothing drive at your workplace to donate to a local nonprofit.
- Pay for the person behind you at a drive-thru or counter.
- Research and share the history of your neighborhood.
- Offer to return the shopping cart for a stranger loading his or her car.
- Plant a garden and share the extra bounty.
- Attend city council meetings.
- Pick up some extra groceries to donate to your local food bank or pantry.
- Visit seniors in a retirement home. If you can sing or play an instrument, offer to hold a performance.
- Pull out your calendar and plan how you’ll do good in your community year-round!
Take action now:
- Make this summer a summer of service with the Summer Volunteer Guide.
- Visit United Way of Greater St. Louis’ Volunteer Center to browse volunteer opportunities across our region.
- Looking for even more ways to get involved in your community throughout the year? Check out our 2019 Do-Good Calendar for ideas!
- Share this story with friends and family!
Emily Becherer is a proud native St. Louisan, writer and lover of stories in all their forms. Faced with a captivating question, she will research her way down a rabbit hole and emerge with words that educate and inspire. You can probably find her taking in a musical, bingeing through a new podcast series, exploring the trails at local parks or curating her extensive library of Spotify playlists.