The Executive Assistant provides high-level efficient and effective administrative functions supporting the President/CEO and Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) in achieving United Way’s mission of helping people live their best possible lives. This position completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the President/CEO and CAO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging travel plans; and preparing meeting materials and minutes.
The Executive Assistant is responsible for maintaining a high volume of information, ensuring timely and accurate responses to inquiries and communications, and providing excellent customer service to multiple stakeholders. Attention to detail is absolutely paramount.
- Facilitates the efficient utilization of the President/CEO’s and CAO’s time through development and coordination of complex calendars; handles changes or cancellations as deemed necessary and/or appropriate; provides background information, meeting summaries and/or supporting documents in preparation for scheduled appointments, meeting, and speaking engagements.
- Keeps President/CEO and CAO well informed of upcoming commitments, responsibilities, and meetings, following up appropriately.
- Receives incoming calls to the Executive Committee, determines nature of call and whether it requires the attention of the President /CEO or CAO, takes messages and maintains contact information, and whenever possible responds to caller directly based on knowledge of President /CEO and CAO preferences, office functions, policy, priorities and availability or makes sure the caller receives appropriate transfer to another department;
- Processes all incoming correspondence received by the President/CEO and CAO, prioritizing and determining its disposition. Directs mail to appropriate internal staff with instructions and/or suggestions for preparation of a reply. Determines which correspondence can be handled by self and takes initiative in drafting responses for the President/CEO or CAO’s signature based on knowledge of their activities, interests, priorities, and issues.
- Prepares communications as directed by President/CEO and CAO including thank you responses, general and for pledges/payments, and congratulatory letters and gifts. In partnership with respective staff lead, may assemble necessary data for President/CEO to use in the composition of replies.
- Reviews, proofreads, and formats all correspondence prepared for the President/CEO’s and CAO’s signature to ensure accuracy and completeness, as well as consistency with the organization’s policy standards and exercises good judgment in following up with staff to ensure deadlines are met on documents requiring the president’s signature – consults with CAO as deemed necessary;
- Prepares President/CEO’s and CAO’s expense and mileage reports and check requisitions in a timely manner.
- Secures transportation, hotel reservations/accommodations and a variety of other administrative support functions for the President/CEO and CAO in support of business activities and associations including their responsibilities for resource generation (i.e. campaign, planned giving, etc.) and local and national leadership roles with United Way Worldwide and other groups/boards.
- In partnership with the CAO, facilitates the effective planning and organization of Board of Directors, Executive Committee and special meetings, as required. Responsible for preparing notices including advance distribution of materials. Maintains close relationships with administrative assistants to the members and all staff of the Board of Directors.
- Serves as administrative coordinator for various meetings convened by the President/CEO.
- Maintains records management of President/CEOs files, communications and meetings; and Board of Directors, Executive Committee, special committee, and Core Management meetings, as required. Responsible for overseeing the filing system, creating and updating files and records, hard copy and in CRM system, as necessary using judgment and knowledge of office requirements and standard operating procedures, determining retention and purging schedules, and retrieving files and documents as needed
- With CAO, maintains continuity of office operation during the President/CEO’s absence, handling administrative matters and arranging for most efficient dispatch of pending matters upon President/CEO’s return.
- Provide coverage when necessary to the United Way’s front desk.
- Contributes to the overall success of the United Way by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of the President & CEO’s and CAO’s time and presence.
- Accurate records management of files and communications in the Executive Office.
- Managing and proactively anticipating internal and external customers’ needs in a manner that provides added value and generates significant customer satisfaction internally and externally.
- Continually seeking to improve administrative functions through process improvement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong work tenure: 5 years’ experience supporting C-Level Executives.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors.
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer service/response.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be reliable and dependable regarding attendance and in fulfilling work responsibilities.
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.