By bringing people and organizations together to solve our region’s most pressing issues, United Way of Greater St. Louis is making our community a better place to live, work, and thrive. It’s more than a day job – it’s a mission! Come work with us!
The Director – Capacity Building Initiatves (CBI) function of United Way develops, coordinates and provides services that will help strengthen the governance, programs, administration and finances of member agencies. The position provides direct support to network agencies, oversees agency training, delivers consulting services and is a liaison with organizational partners, offering quality nonprofit capacity building opportunities.
- Provide consistent, targeted and universal training opportunities across the network, inclusive of panels, round tables, instructor-led trainings and more.
- Identify quality trainers/presenters to facilitate training workshops, peer learning tables and mentor agencies, as needed.
- Develop invitations, registration forms and/or applications for training opportunities; review and qualify candidates, monitor interest and encourage agency participation; draft & distribute award letters.
- Develop strategies, evaluate and support agencies in order to drive improvements and strengthen their operations in one or more of the United Way Quality Standard (UWQS).
- Provide guidance, feedback and oversight regarding the agencies’ efforts to meet the recommendations from allocation voluneers and site reviews.
- Partner with internal managers to coordinate capacity building efforts for select agencies providing history, context and updates on selected agencies and ongoing projects.
- Provide a standard and responsive series of training opportunities for UW member agencies; demonstrating awareness of UW priorities and external drivers to aid in positioning strong agencies and network.
- Work with external vendors to issue badging and certificate credentials to agencies that complete courses and training tracks; maintain log of credentials, with expiry/renewal dates; educate internal and external stakeholders about the value, process and posting of credentials.
- Maintain database of nonprofit best practice resources for stakeholder access.
- Develop and maintain United Way website page, highlighting capacity building opportunities, including value/process of credentialling.
- Manage CBI budget, request funding and process invoices for facilitators and partners; periodically report budget status and reconcile discrepancies with Finance Department.
- Build relationships and partner with outside funders/providers to create opportunities and leverage resources for member agency participation in existing quality programs that build skills in identified need areas.
- Develop and implement a performance management system, measurement tools and process to assess the impact that funded capacity building initiatives have on participating agencies.
KSA (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the management/administrative level in a non-profit organization.
- The successful candidate will have a combination of education, non-profit administration, and/or grant review experience. Candidate must be able to analyze governance, program, finance and administration indicators of quality at a non-profit.
- Familiarity with relevant government regulations, funding sources and administration of nonprofit organizations.
- Understands and supports the goals of United Way.
- Able to represent United Way in the community.
- Must have a high attention to detail and concern for accuracy.
- Must have strong written, communication and listening skills.
- Analytical ability required in order to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems and prioritize work.
- Must have desire for continuous improvement in nonprofit best practices and enviroments, work flow, communication, educational methods, etc.
- Willingness to be flexible, able to triage and work on multiple projects at one time.
- Must be team oriented and strategic.
United Way of Greater St. Louis supports employees working remotely 2 days per week. We offer an extensive benefit program including generous time off, health, dental, and vision insurance, short- and long-term disability, and a 403(b) plan.
To apply, please submit your resume and/or cover letter to Careers@stl.unitedway.org
Employment is contingent upon passing a background check and screening for illegal drug use.
United Way of Greater St. Louis is an Equal Opportunity Employer.