Chief Marketing Officer
We are seeking a passionate Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) who can help take our organization to its next level of growth as we enter our second century of impact. The ideal candidate will be strategic with strong digital and operational capabilities, results and outcome-oriented, a creative problem solver, highly collaborative, and able to drive cultural transformation across the organization. The CMO will partner directly with the CEO and executive leadership team to develop and manage the overall marketing vision and communications strategies with the goal of driving optimal results measured through increased brand awareness, donor retention, engagement, and attraction. Through ongoing research and understanding changing industry and market trends, the CMO will help create consistent, effective, and cohesive messaging that articulates a compelling story to elevate the United Way brand across the broader community as well as specific target audiences. Reports to the President and CEO.
Supervisory Accountabilities: This position supervises staff and volunteers.
- Set strategy and direction for the marketing and communications department and its work, including planning, measurement, and continuous improvement.
- Closely monitor, track and improve each audience’s brand experience with United Way, including annual campaign, leadership societies, United Way 2-1-1, STLVolunteer, 100 Neediest Cases, and other programs and services.
- Ensure all aspects of the marketing mix – digital communications, public relations, advertising, collateral, and video – are expertly executed, on time and on budget.
- Lead the response for crisis communications, including media inquiries, social media, natural disasters and man-made disasters
- Support volunteer leaders in their work to share United Way’s message and story within networks and to the public.
- Actively support, mentor, and coach the marketing team members.
- Refresh United Way’s branding so that it is compelling and relevant to today’s audience
- Create marketing strategies that widen United Way’s audience and support base
- Improve systems to better align data and marketing
- Create avenues to increase overall support of the organization, including: increasing visibility inside companies that run a United Way campaign, with home-based and entrepreneurs, and with specific generations
- Improve United Way’s website experience, including branding, content, lead generation, and online giving
- 8+ years of experience in donor engagement or nonprofit/for-profit marketing
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, nonprofit/for-profit management or other related field/li>
- Background in fundraising a plus
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Teams is essential. Experience in Adobe products (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) a plus.
- PEOPLE MANAGEMENT: The CMO oversees a team of 10-12 people at any given time. As a senior manager, the CMO will work with the team to set vision, create strategies, solve problems, and innovate.
- TALENT DEVELOPMENT: The CMO will have a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and will recruit, promote, and support current and future talent with DEI at the forefront
- STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT: The CMO will work with the Senior Leadership Team to create over-arching strategies for the organization, and then use these strategies to run a successful marketing department.
- BROAD MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS SKILLS: The CMO will use a wide variety of marketing and communications skills, such as writing, editing, social media strategy, data analysis, public relations support, graphic design direction, and more.
- BOARD COMMUNICATIONS AND SUPPORT: United Way has an active and supportive board. The CMO will work with CAO to ensure the board is appropriately informed of organizational successes, needs, and updates. The CMO may also work closely with board members on marketing efforts and/or organizational efforts.
- CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS MANAGEMENT: From time to time, such as after a national disaster, United Way goes into crisis management mode. The CMO will be skilled in complicated crisis communications management to ensure the community is informed and United Way’s brand remains strong.
- RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS: The CMO will use data analytics from various sources to make informed decisions on marketing strategies and tactics. The CMO may perform research in the form of focus groups, surveys, etc. on various aspects of marketing or organizational programming.
KSA (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES: WHO WE ARE & HOW WE WORK TOGETHER…THE UNITED WAY
Steward the Vision, Act with Integrity, Commitment to Service, Encourage & Embrace Innovation, Demonstrate Mutual Respect, Pursue Collaboration
SUPERVISORY ACCOUNTABILITIES: EXPECTATIONS OF PEOPLE LEADERS
Create Vision & Alignment, Communicate & Engage Clearly, Manage Performance, Reward & Recognize, Employees, Build Strong & Diverse Teams (Talent Management)
United Way of Greater St. Louis supports employees working remotely 2 days per week. We offer an comprehensive benefits package including 12 days of vacation earned over the first 12 months of employment, sick pay, 10 company holidays, 5 1/2 flexible/personal holidays, 3 volunteer days, parental leave, health, dental, vision and life insurance, short term disability, long term disability, and a 403(b) with an organization match and 3 year vesting schedule.
To apply, please submit your resume and/or cover letter to Careers@stl.unitedway.org