The Finance Division is comprised of the Pledge Processing and Finance areas. Under the direction of the Finance and Audit Committee it is responsible for maintaining proper internal financial controls, to process pledges, cash receipts, cash disbursements, and other financial transactions accordingly, to be a steward of the organization’s assets including cash, investments and fixed assets among others, to maintain necessary insurances, and to perform necessary external reporting including audit, tax and pension related reports and filings. Internally the division ensures there is adequate financial reporting and analysis to assist the organization in decision making, in a customer centric way.
The position performs accounting duties related to revenue recognition and cash and stock receipts, having to do with pledge income/receivables for United Way’s Annual Campaign and other campaigns or receipts using primarily the Campaign software, Accounting software and other third party web-based products. Specific duties are as listed below under the general supervision of the Accounting Director.
- Perform verification and analyses of Campaign system transactions to permit recording of pledges, cash receipts, and adjustment activities via a download and associated upload of data to the Accounting system’s GL (general ledger); follow-up on any identified problems
- Compare contribution payments (including charge cards and CND’s – cash not deposited) per detail deposit listings to the bank statements and other transaction records for discrepancies (wrong bank codes, amounts, etc.)
- Assists with the review of other activity per the adjustment reports, processed transaction list, and accounts receivable summary reports to insure accuracy; identify detail information to permit the general ledger recording
- Review detail disbursements and other bank activity for accuracy
- Download cleared check information
- Maintain the bank reconciliation module in Accufund, enter approved cash adjustments and prepare bank reconciliations for all primary accounts, including cash receipts verifications for both miscellaneous and contribution cash receipts and including the monthly list of outstanding checks per the accounts payable system for the primary disbursement account
- Download credit card information from various 3rd party platforms for campaign and non-campaign related receipts and assure information is distributed and processed.
- Serve as technical expert for credit card processing and support processing at events, including training staff on remote processing devices
- Process all stock transactions, including necessary contacts with contributors and investment brokers
- Calculate FMV [fair market value] of transactions, maintain all pertinent accounting detail records, and transmit donation letters to donors
- Reconcile balances of stock receivables per ANDAR and the general ledger
- Monitor and process all returned checks from the bank and checks not deposited in house
- Write journals and correspondence as part of general follow up and reconciliation of accounts
- Process stop payment requests and copies of cancelled checks and answer other cash transaction questions as able
- Assist with year- end audit, including analyses of accounts, follow-up on confirmation discrepancies, and other related duties, as assigned – including, but not limited to treasury and insurance functions.
- Process parking validation invoices.
- Contribute to the overall success of United Way by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Support the recording of campaign revenue and associated designations for accurate financial reporting
- Reconcile primary cash accounts on a timely basis to support accurate financial reporting
- Generate fair market value gift letters for donations of equities
- Serve as technical expert concerning transactions in credit card processing area
- Process positive pay exceptions
- Work as part of team to monitor collections and pursue outstanding balances emphasizing the Top 150 accounts
- Reconcile and order replenishment for St. Louis’ petty cash box
- Prepare 1099 data after year-end for review and processing
- Request and process functional expense percentage information from operating departments
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Type & Level of Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent.
Technical or Other Abilities:
- Ability to use automated accounting systems (general ledger, accounts receivable, etc.) Proficient in MS Office software, particularly Excel and Word. High proficiency in oral and written communication skills.
- Typing 30 wpm and use of 10-key calculator; high mathematical aptitude.
- 1-3 years experience including monthly accounting closings in a deadline oriented environment, account analyses and reconciliations, and annual audit work. Experience with non-profit organization or pledge receivables a plus.
Specific Skills & Attitudes:
- A demonstrated understanding of the United Way, its philosophy, and its goals.
- High degree of personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Knowledge of business and an excellent command of the English language.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to work independently and within teams, meet deadlines and manage projects effectively.
- High level of accuracy and analytical skills.
- Able to work accurately under pressure to complete multiple tasks and a high volume of work according to established methods with attention to detail and accuracy while meeting deadlines.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to provide good customer and problem resolution services.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.